Saturday, January 7, 2012

4. ART : Sumita’s Initiation into art.


Painting is my post retirement hobby. The funny part is I took it up after a lot of resistance. Why?? Well here goes- Before me my sister had taken up art as a post retirement past-time and she went berserk; it was like some gigantic artistic beast waking up and getting into a frenzy inside her. She was not only painting canvases, pots, plates and wood planks, but also talking about it 24 by 7. Well to cut a long story short I was so put off with the clutter and the chatter I thought this is something I don’t want to do. But because I had taken early retirement expressly "to follow my hobbies" I had to do something, so I studied homeopathy, dabbled in Tarot card reading astrology and numerology, my hobbies since my schooldays and did a course in bird-watching along with my husband and fell in love with the little marvels of creation for all times to come. But then I am my sister's sister (sic!) so she was able to convince me that I should also give art a try, so one day paint box and canvas in hand I went and joined a group of ladies who are guided by an artist while they dabble with colors. And bam! it happened! The beast came alive! I was out of control! I could’nt stop. My teacher all but threw me out of class because I couldn't wait till the next class and would be dabbing paint to my hearts content and messing up a perfectly good work. I would wake up at 3am and sketch anything that caught my fancy. Thankfully this continued for a few months only and then the beast was at peace and let me work at my own pace.

So I am putting up the stuff I made to share my experience of starting a creative hobby which I had no inkling I had a knack or talent for. And also to show that one should not assess the work with "how good it is" but with "how much pleasure I got making it". Here are some of my first sketches –




Article and sketches by Sumita     Glass painting

No comments: